tvr

Re: Tuning 2500

To: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Tuning 2500
From: Skip Gurnee <skip47@home.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:46:02 -0700
Steve-
Dare I quote the old adage about "speed costs money how fast, etc.?  The
money you spend will be somewhat dependent on your plans for the car and
how long you intend to keep it.  If it's a lifelong venture like my
Vixen, then do whatever you want without regard to resale value.  If you
have thoughts of selling it someday, then I second Bob's vote about
changing engines.  I also second Will's thoughts about other
modifications required.  My car is running a 230hp Cosworth BD engine,
and EVERYTHING has been changed in the suspension and drive train to
support it.  The total cost is several times what you're considering.
The TVR can handle 175hp, but the drive train will see a large
percentage increase in stress, with consequent increase in breakage
possibilities.  The mods on my car didn't come all at once; they came as
a result of fixing the "next weakest link".
By the way, the money and frustration are forgotten when the car stays
together and you win.
Best,
Skip Gurnee
1970 Vixen S2  LVX14704