Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch
From: "Dwyer" <jasper@enternet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:15:16 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Lance

You're quite right: the weight of the flywheel is there to smooth out the
power pulses of the engine. The snag is that in some cases the dampening has
been a bit overdone, even for road use. This results in an engine that is
slow to change its rpm, and especially if you have a crash box that makes
gear-changing more difficult.

The standard P-type engine feels to me quite ponderous in its response. The
flywheel and clutch assembly on this 847cc engine weighs quite a bit more
than those of a 1250 TC. Cars in the 30s had only limited rubber insulation
between engine and chassis and the heavy flywheel was an effort to reduce
perceived vibration. I think that the fuels available at the time also gave
less smooth running than we are accustomed to.

Of course if you reduce the flywheel/clutch mass too much the engine will be
unpleasantly rough at low revs. However I don't think that there's much
chance of reaching that stage with a P-type!

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol