EP lubricants

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: EP lubricants
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:33:27 -0700
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Re: EP lube

I was told by a local oil company chemist that EP (extreme
pressure) lubricants made for hypoid gears have a lot of sulphur
content to make them more "slippery". It is an inefficient gear that
allows a lower drive-line. It is this sulphur that attacks brass and
bronze bearing retainers, shims, bushings etc. Our gears are just the
more efficient spiral-bevel...not hypoid. Also, case hardening will be
lost when the metal absorbs sulphur...but at high temperature (as far
as I know as a machinist), but I doubt we have case hardened gears.
...(a spot of sulphur on a case hardened shaft,  bring to local red heat
and you should be able to drill a hole)....

He recommended to stay with straight mineral base 140 which he
claimed was still used in heavy construction equipment (25 years
ago). This he said had chlorine, anti foaming agent etc.,  but no
sulphur. As it turned out, the company still had two pails of non EP
castrol 140 that I bought.

Many years ago I read an article in which the author stated "the TC
has no love for EP lubricants". Who and where I cant remember but it
lead to my talking to the chemist.

Bill Traill
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol