Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch

To: "Dwyer" <jasper@enternet.com.au>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch
From: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 23:48:36 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi guys,
The idea of using the flywheel as a vibration damper is interesting, but
false.  The firing of the four cylinder engine every 90 degrees gives
different harmonics at different RPM.
To truly overcome this problem, the real solution is to use a variable
harmonic damper such as is used on modern racing cars.
The point of a flywheel is threefold: One, it gives enough stored energy up
to maintain  low RPM operation, Two, it gives the starter motor a small to
large gear ratio (mechanical advantage) to start the engine, and three, it
allows stored energy in the flywheel to be used to start the car from rest.
Modern cars use a damper that is generally tuned to a specific RPM/harmonic
range, and some devices such as the FluidDamper is able to damp the
harmonics at a wide range of operation.
Why damp harmonics?
Harmonic vibration is like a lot of men marching across a bridge in step.
The harmonics cause the bridge to fail.
In much the same way, harmonic vibration can destroy your crank and other
parts of the rotational mass.
Balancing helps, but you need a mass at both ends of the crank to do the
job.
With a low compression engine such as the XPAG or earlier units, the only
thing a lightened flywheel would add is rev-ability.
The main problem is piston velocity in feet per second through the bore at
high RPM.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who actually races an XPAG or
cammer engine to explain what he does to his engine for high RPM usage.
Best,

Ray McCrary
"Speed is Life;
of course Luck and Altitude