Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch

To: <Kellmg@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, <jasper@enternet.com.au>
Subject: Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch
From: "Lance Wayman" <lwayman@laserfiche.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:16:42 -0700
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Can anyone enlighten my understanding of any advantages to be gained by
lightening the flywheel.   It would seem to me that this would increase the
possibility of vibration from the engine, as you would reduce the inertia and
momentum that a heavy flywheel produces to smooth out the power fluctuations
between the power strokes of a four cycle internal combustion engine.

Thanks,
Lance
1930 MG M (with 4 speed gearbox, origin unknown.)

>>> <Kellmg@aol.com> 4/23/01 7:49:18 PM >>>
In a message dated 04/23/2001 2:55:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
jasper@enternet.com.au writes:

> I've just done almost the same things, and I'm about to refit the engine
> now: you're worrying me!
>
> Is it possible that the clutch driven plate is dragging on the pressure
> plate due to either contamination on the faces, or friction on the splines?
> What about the spigot bearing: could there be drag there?
>
> Nothing to do with the problem, but how much did you lighten the flywheel? I
> worked to the drawing published by the MMM and others which is said to be
> the Works instruction for lightening the P-type. This reduced our flywheel
> from 11Kg to 7Kg.

Dave,

Same drawing. Lightens by 9lbs [real money]

Well, I think you came up there with the only three possibilities. I'm
tending to think more to the side that the driven plate is binding on the
pressure plate. I'm certain it's disengaging from the flywheel. I can see the
centre of the driven plate moving on the splines. As you say it could be
still binding on the pressure plate. You guys who have also installed sealed
bearings on the spigot shaft and yet to try it should be OK.

Started taking the box out today, but the call of $1.00 beers at the local
brewery on Mondays gets the better of me. No, I didn't install the clutch on
a Monday!!! Maybe I should have done.

I'll have it out and stripped for inspection tomorrow.

More to follow.

Brian Kelly.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol