Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch

To: Clives_page@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch
From: Lawrie Alexander <britcars@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:09:30 -0700
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Clive.......

In 1963 a friend who was staying with me in Wimbledon had an M-type which
blew up its engine. I rebuilt his spare engine for him (didn't everone
have at least one?!) and had my first experience of driving an M when I
took it for a test drive.

Even though I have devoted most of my working life to "The Octagon" and
have driven many MGs to and past their limits, it boggles the mind to
think of anyone driving an M-type at over 95 mph knowing that flimsy
2-bearing crankshaft was rotating at over 7,000 r.p.m! (Unless, of
course, you are much older than you look and were doing this back when
the steel was relatively new and unstressed!!)

Interesting about the dynamo needing balancing, though. I'll have to
check the one on my PA engine.

Cheers,

Lawrie