Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch

To: spook01@home.com
Subject: Re: Lighten Flywheel - was Clutch
From: Lawrie Alexander <britcars@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:29:51 -0700
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Ray,

Brown & Gammons build racing XPEG engines that are reputed to put out
about 145 bhp. These use a flywheel that can best be described as
resembling a bicycle chain-ring - there's a periphery that supports a
ring gear, a flat surface for the clutch to attach to and bite on, and
not much else! I'm not sure how much (or, should I say, how little) it
weighs but it isn't very much. My experience of one of these in an engine
is limited to driving the ex-Ken Miles R1 a few years ago, after it had
been fitted with a number of B & G's trick bits. It certainly revved
freely (close to 8,000 rpm) and crisply and exhibited no lack of
tractability that could not be attributed to the racing cam.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center