Re: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?

To: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Subject: Re: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:02:55 -0800
On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:34:14PM -0800, Kevin Stevens wrote:
> > With a light rear end or a powerful engine, you can
> > bypass the understeer and go right to power oversteer.
>
> I see this written all the time, but I'v never experienced it.  In my
> experience, once you start pushing in a turn (RWD), you can't stop it
> without slowing down.  You can get oversteer AS WELL with your right foot;
> this is known as "sliding".  ;)

Therefore you've got to do it before the weight transfers and the understeer
sets in.  I believe that this is known as "not being smooth", but as
we read in the "how to autocross with AWD" discussion, it can work
with certain cars.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94