Re: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?

To: <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: Re: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 20:51:14 -0800
on 4/3/02 12:34, Kevin Stevens at Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, John J. Stimson-III wrote:
>
>> I think the difference in your experience might have to do with the
>> weight balance of the car.  In a low power car, or one in which the
>> rear is heavy, it's harder to get the rear tires to induce power
>> oversteer, so most of the time they will just see understeer under
>> acceleration.  With a light rear end or a powerful engine, you can
>> bypass the understeer and go right to power oversteer.
>
> I see this written all the time, but I'v never experienced it.  In my
> experience, once you start pushing in a turn (RWD), you can't stop it
> without slowing down.  You can get oversteer AS WELL with your right foot;
> this is known as "sliding".  ;)
>
> KeS
Kevin, I don't disagree with you often but in this case I have to take
exception. You can stop the push without slowing if you have the room to
unwind enough to regain the traction on the front end at the same time you
are inducing the tail to come about. ( lets not talk about what kind of an
ugly line this envisions, but if we were doing everything right we wouldn't
have been suffering this push in the first place, would we.)<hehe>
MJ