Re: Fred's driving

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fred's driving
From: Don Spence <dspence@oanet.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:59:00 -0700
Ah yes , Traffic circles. We have them here and for intermediate volumes of
traffic they are much more efficient than 4 way stops and a heck of a lot
cheaper than fly-overs!

The rule here is simple. Traffic in the circle has the right of way,, which,
considering that they (circles that is) are an English invention , makes
absolute sense. (Traffic in the circle is to the right of traffic entering
the circle- when driving on the left of centre that is)

We Canadians ( who like the yanks, drive on the right) are I believe, a
considerate and intelligent bunch who easily accepted that, although traffic
in the circle was "on the left", they should have the right of way because
that's the way it works best.

NOW, shift a TC over to France and you have a recipe for disaster!    In
France the car to the right always has the right of way. This results in
traffic in the circle having to yield to traffic  entering the circle which
of course destroys the flow and renders the advantage of circles a
disadvantage. Ah the bloody French!

I do believe they have changed this now, at least on the circle I regularly
had to navigate in Alsace.

Hmmmm... if the French can change, maybe there is hope for the world after
all :>