Re: Fred's driving

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Fred's driving
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:38:38 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h16Fn7hu030031
Message text written by Michael Hargreave Mawson
>Milton Keynes is a "new city" designed from the ground up to be served
by a grid-pattern of dual carriageways (not sure whether these are what
Americans call "four-lane highways" or "two-lane highways"<

Your "dual carriage ways with the centeral reservation" is what we call
"four lane divided highway."  "Limited access" means there are no cross
street intersections and all roads cross either over or under bridges and
entrances and exits are via merging and diverging ramps which allow cars to
enter and exit the traffic stream at or near traffic speed. (although this
fact seems to escape some drivers)  All of our "Interstate" routes meet
these qualifications.  Equivilent to your "M" routes and "A" routes.  Some
road ways not designated as "Interstates" also meet these qualifications,
but not many.

Also, most urban interstates have more than two lanes of traffic in each
direction. The whole business has mushroomed to utter confusion to the
outside observer.

(Mind the gap)

Dave