Re: Moss quality

To: "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Moss quality
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 00 07:05:12 -0700
>Perhaps the only way is to view the
>actual product at the point of sale and make your decision on what you see.

Nope.

You can not tell at a glance if a part is properly triple chromed and
going to last, what kind of metal alloy was used, if there is rust
started under the paint or if those nice rubber parts will be cracking
under one year.  And these days you certainly do not want to install new
TR lifters without harness testing them first (four of my new lifters did
not pass a hardness test and would not have lasted very long in my
engine).

Moss needs to develop a better set of standards to provide suppliers, a
supplier qualification program and a quality feedback loop to make the
supplier aare of how their procuts hold up in the field.

Granted you can see a shoddy finish or a part that is just not physically
right, but there is a lot that you can not see when you receive parts.
My TR3A's repacment chrome I got from Moss is rusting within a year of
being put on the car.  I made several people at Moss aware of it.  Now
next time I take the 3 down for a while I will remove the bumpers and
have them properly rechromed locally.

I have become a strong believer in refinishing original parts where
possible.

On the other hand I once purchased a reproduction rear valence from Moss
and it was high quality and fit properly.  Once I stripped and repainted
the reproduction seat frame I got from Moss I have been very happy with
it.  There are things you can get from Moss that you just can not get
anywhere else.

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.