Re: competition manual online

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, greenman <greenman62@hotmail.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: competition manual online
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:36:43 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>

This entire debate verges on the bizarre.
>Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:15:41 PDT
>From: greenman62@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: competition manual online
>

>  The least one can do is find out who has the rights and ASK FOR
>  PERMISSION! If permission is given then go ahead<

I see 2 problems with your suggestion:

1) (text not quoted above)  I am not convinced that our e-publishing the old
   pamphlets/manuals reduces any benefit (monetary or otherwise) to
   the putative current copyright holders.

2)  Asking the supposed copyright holders for permission will
    result in an INSTANTANEOUS _NO_.  The lawyers will not think
    about it, will not check to see if the copyright is still valid,
    will not see if anyone in the co. actually cares, will not consider
    any possible collateral gain they might get by better advertizing,
    better product respect (etc).  They will just say no.  I say let
    them show they care by coming to us and asking us to stop.  Then it
    proves they care to the extent of spending a minute DOING something about
    it.  If asked to stop by an official repersentative, I am sure any
    reasonable person would do so immediately.

2b) Remember, nobody is making money on the e-distribution of the material,
    and in the case of out-of-print material, no possible loss of sales!

-Tony