Re: Sandblasting Questions

To: Keith McGahan <keithmcgahan@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting Questions
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 17:14:04 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Keith,

Whether or not to sandblast the frame is a judgement call. Besides
cleaning it up and prepping it for a fresh coat of paint, sandblasting
helps reveal stress cracks and any other problems that might be lurking.
I am of the opinion that when you have gone as far as you have, it's
worthwhile to do things right. I'd hate to get the car all back
together, then discover a problem or oversight that requires another
tear down!

In my case, that means the replacement frame for my 4 that I'll be
picking up this week will get a lot of attention, although I may not end
up sandblasting it entirely. I have a small sandblast outfit of my own,
anyway.

At least, in addition to selective blasting, I will be working it over
with wire brushes, sanding, checking for trueness and correcting as
needed, checking it for cracks and repairing as needed, welding up some
additional gusseting and reinforcing, and finally painting with either
POR15 or Corrolis/Chassis Black. After that, all I have to do is swap
parts of the old frame and build the car from the ground up... maybe,
what, a couple weekends' work? ;-)

I have a feeling the price quotes over the phone are guess-timates at
best. Once they take a look at what you want done, the quote may change
a lot! Sorry, but I haven't paid for sandblasting since I bought a kit
from Sears 20-some years ago for $75. So, I can't give you much help
with the price comparison.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

--