TR6 wiring help please !!

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: TR6 wiring help please !!
From: "Mark S. Lepore, M.D." <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:37:21 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hello:
I have no solution for Scott's question (sorry Scott), but I do have one
of my own concerning wiring.  It is complicated, but I'll try to make it
brief.
The DPO wired the headlights to a toggle switch.  Someone on the list
(THANKS!) gave me a standard stalk headlight switch, so I decided to put
this in.  When I got into it, I could only find three of five wires from
the harness: the purple, the blue/white, and the red/green.  There was no
blue or brown/white wire, but wired to the toggle were two black wires,
presumably added/switched/spliced in by the DPO.  I assumed these were the
two missing ones, but also noticed and "extra" wire not in the bentley
diagrams, running from one black wire, directly to the panel rheostat.  I
connected everything up, assuming one wire was the blue and one was the
brown/white, and removed the extra wire.  HERE IS THE PROBLEM: nothing
works in the middle position (marker lights), and only the headlights work
in the mainbeam position (i.e. no marker or rear lights).  The flash to
pass function works fine.  Also, none of the lights for the gauges work.
I tried the fuse box to see if it could be a problems with the red/green
connection, but the fuses and connections were ok.
If anyone is familliar with this wiring, or has access to a Bentley, I'd
appreciate some ideas.  I figure one of the black wires must be the blue
(the one that feeds the headlight) since the headlights work.  I can't
understand why the marker lamps won't work, although the fact that there
was a direct connection from the black to the rheostat tells me something
is amiss.  Dip switch also seems to work fine.  Please help, oh wise
triumph people.
Thanks,
Sirmoog