Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:08:27 +0400 (EDT)
Before this debate overheats, I'd like to raise a question relative to
the original thread:

> From jibrooks@juno.comFri Aug 16 11:02:24 1996
> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 21:31:19 EDT
> From: Jack I Brooks <jibrooks@juno.com>
> To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion

> Has anyone recently converted a TR-3 with disk wheels to wire wheels?

> I am trying to get a handle on what the costs might be and just how much
> of the wheel/axle assembly whould have to be replaced.

> Also,  does anyone have a set for sale?

My question? Did the early (Lockheed brakes) TRs use the same sort of
adaptor for wire wheels, or did they use a completely different front
and rear hub unit with splines (as with most MGs)? The original TR
spares catalog does not picture the variations, but it implies that
different hubs were used.

If that is the case, can the later-style adaptors be bolted to the
earlier cars in the same way they would bolt up to the later cars --
basically just shorten the lugs appropriately, etc.? And, barring a
torrential rainstorm, would a Concours judge propery demand the removal
of wire wheels so as to check for proper original parts? ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *