Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion

To: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks), Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 07:27:48 -0700
At  9:31 PM 8/14/96 -0400, Jack I Brooks wrote:
>Has anyone recently converted a TR-3 with disk wheels to wire wheels?
>
>I am trying to get a handle on what the costs might be and just how much
>of the wheel/axle assembly whould have to be replaced.
>
>Also,  does anyone have a set for sale?
>
>Thanks,

Jack
It is best to start out with new Dayton brand wire wheels, and new hubs and
new lug nuts.  I started out with "good condition" used that gave me
nothing but problems.  The splines wear if the knockoffs are not tight
enough.

For the conversion:

Take off your steel wheels
put the hubs on over the lug nuts
Put the special wire wheel nuts on the lugs over the hub.
Cut the lugs short so only a thread or two sticks out from the nuts.
remove the nuts & hubs & run a die down the lugs to clean the threads
replace hubs and nuts
grease hub splines with a high temp grease
Install wheel then knockoff
Using a lead hammer, not copper, pound the living daylights out of the
knockoff untill it refuses to turn any more.
Drive car
regrease hubs every six months

Though wire wheels are thought to be more attractive than disk wheels by
many people, they are comparitivly fragile and high mantenence.  Whenever
you jack the car up to replace the grease on the spline you should give it
a spin to look for trueness.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com