Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion

To: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks), mmarr@execpc.com
Subject: Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:21:47 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 10:33 PM 8/16/96 -0400, Jack I Brooks wrote:

>It seem that I have opened up a can of  worms; and a rather spirited
>discussion.  My personal feeling, as an engineer, is that the knockoffs
>will not self tighten and therefore should be tightened securely
>(probably with the wheel off of the ground, for proper seating), and
>retightening after several miles of driving seems like a good idea too.
>
>Jack Brooks

You can not completely tighten the front knockoffs with the wheel off the
geround unless you have someone inside holding the brakes.  Also, in the
rear the force of the pounding gets transmitter along the axles to the
diff.

I hammer them off the ground untill they feel mostly tight. then lower the
car to the ground and finish it off.  Just like you can not jack up a car
and then start to hammer lose tight knockoffs.

I just checked my TR3A glove box manual.  They didn't mention how to
properly tighten knockoffs.  It must be common knowledge.

Checking the knockoffs the day after, or 50ish miles after replacing seems
good practice.

But you should get pleanty of practice removing the hubs every six months
to clean up the splines and replace the grease...unless you want to pay
someone to torch off the wheel with the flat tyre that siezed on the hub.

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com