Re: I Need help with Ball Joint Installation!

To: Paulsv@aol.com
Subject: Re: I Need help with Ball Joint Installation!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:57:29 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: KMNTR6@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, rtr@tsquare.com
On Fri, 16 Aug 1996 Paulsv@aol.com wrote:

> Gents-
> I want to sound a caution on this.  I think what Andrew Mace is suggesting is
> to strike that portion of the verticle link that the ball joint stem passes
> through, in order to "shock" the tapered stem out of the hole in the top of
> the vertical link.  (Apologies to A.M. if I misunderstand what he is
> suggesting)  This has worked well for me, but in order to avoid damage to the
> vertical link and connected parts, and in order for it to really work well,
> you have to back up the other side of the vertical link with a heavy piece of
> steel, preferably heavier than the hammer you are hitting with.  Heat can
> help too....

You didn't misunderstand. And you've got a good point about backing up
the other side (as John Lye also has pointed out).

I really prefer a "pickle fork" or press, but the hammer method can work
if other tools are not readily available.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *