Re: Ramblings on Speed Limits

To: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Subject: Re: Ramblings on Speed Limits
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:04:39 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rik:
I agree with you whole-heartedly. For many years I was a member of the NMA
and the CCRTL. I thought that all we had to do was get people to understand
that driving was an important thing socially, that responsible drivers were
much safer and that education was the best thing to make the highways safer
and more fun. I still do, but I came to the realization that no one is
listening. The sad fact is that a vast majority of drivers take no more
interest in driving well than making a piece of toast in the morning, and
the car is just another appliance that gets ignored until it breaks and you
have to get a new one. The recent thread here is nothing more than
preaching to the choir. If the government looks at driving and vehicle
registration as something more than a source of income, things may change,
but I'll be the king of England by then.

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951