Ramblings on Speed Limits

To: Triumph owners list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ramblings on Speed Limits
From: rgs03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Thu, 2 May 96 09:15:35 EDT
Comments: Converted from PROFS to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
I just can't keep quiet about this any longer.

A note to all the people promoting a "Master Driver's License" or
the right to drive faster in the passing lane. You're promoting a very
dangerous and completely unworkable idea.

Let's be realistic. You will NEVER get all the bozos out of the left lane.
Ten thousand laws won't get rid of stupidity (In the left lane as well as the
right lane.) So you have a special license, and some geek in a clapped out
old wreck with fenders flapping as fast as his fat wife's jaw lurches out in
front of you. "Gee, St Peter, I'm not supposed to be here yet. I have a
master driver's license!" Or worse: "But your Honor, I couldn't have killed
that little girl, I have a master driver's license. I'm supposed to drive
that fast."

I come from a police family; my dad was a cop for 30 years. Every cop I've
ever met will tell you (off the record) that it's not speed per se that is
most dangerous on the highway, it's speed differential between the fastest
and the slowest drivers. When everyone is within 5-10 mph of each other
very little goes wrong. It's only when you have a bunch of people doing
50 - 60 mph and one "master driver" closing up on them doing 90 that things
get dangerous.

Be honest. All you are really doing with your proposals is to promote
a way for you to drive fast. You don't want everyone to share your
special privledge. It's elitist. And it puts everyone at risk. Grow up
and join the real world. A much better idea is to promote better driver
training for EVERYONE and to return speed limits to pre-gas crisis levels.
If you are willing to pay more to drive faster, lobby the gov't to pass
laws that are reasonable, spend highway money to actually maintain the
highways, do real and meaningful safety inspections of cars and make it
harder for everyone to get and keep a license. THEN you will be making
a positive step toward faster and safer driving.

If you want to flame me for this opinion, go ahead. Just don't expect
me to be offended by your flames. Or care. And if you're going to exercise
your "special privledge" and showcase your *dazzling skill* at the wheel;
be kind enough to tell me when you're near my home so I can keep myself
and my family out of danger.

Rik

Rik Schlierer                 "Imagination is what allows you
RGS03@HEALTH.STATE.NY.US          to remember things that
NYS DEPT OF HEALTH, ALBANY NY     never happened" (D.T.M.)