Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:25:29 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Tom,
Yeah, I mentioned that option in my original post, but like you said, it's labor intensive, and more importantly I was afraid to alter the CC shape. But since then I have already ground out most of the pits, so I'll have to head down that path now regardless. What equipment did you use to cc your heads? I've seen kits with a plexi square that goes over the CC w/ a tiny hole, and a graduated burette that fills the CC. They tend to be expensive, though. Any ideas?
Thanks,
James J

T. S. White wrote:

JJ,

I think you are avoiding the simple solution. CC the head. Grind all
the corrosion out of the one cc that is bad and then match all the other
to it. This will give you smooth and balance combustion chambers. You
can then mill the head to correct for any change in compression ratio. A little laboe intensive but probably cheaper than buying a new head. Maybe even faster.
I didn't have a corrosion problem but I CC 'd my heads before they ever
went on the engine. I wanted a balanced engine.