Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head

To: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:45:52 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
I've seen the iron heads which still had it (don't know if they all did, but the ones I saw did). Also, the Rover heads still have them, although it's a different shape. I'm just speculating here, but I know that you want your flame front to travel from one side of the cobustion chamber (CC) to the other, which is why most CC's have the spark plug on one side. If two flame fronts collide, they can produce a "detonation" like shock wave which can destroy cast pistons. This is the danger from hot-spots that I talked about earlier. What happens is that the spark plug fires on one side of the CC, and a glowing-red hot splinter (Ok, ok, aluminum doesn't turn red when it heats up, but you get my point and it would in an iron head) on the other side acts like a glow-plug and initiates a flame front there. The two flame fronts move towards each other, compressing the remaining gasses inbetween them, like a piston in a disel engine. The pressure rises twice (approximately) a quickly as it normaly would, creating a dynamic compression ratio much higher than the stock engine, and soon the detonation-retarding effect of the octane in the fuel is overcome and you get an explosion, vs. combustion. On hemi and pent-roof CC's, the spark plug is in the middle, and so the flame front travels the same speed in all directions, so flame-front reflections aren't a problem.
In the Buick and Rover heads (not Olds) we have what is called a semi-hemi (cool name for a band, eh?) CC. This is where I start speculating: I think the little "spark deflector" is more of a flame deflector or diverter and keeps the flame front from travelling the shortest distance to the wall, bouncing back and wreaking havoc. This is only a guess, which is why I asked if anyone knew what it was, but I would be hesitant to remove it if, in fact, it does what I think. Would love to know for sure.
On a related note, I found a web page for an Aussie fellow who bolted post-'64 CAST-IRON Buick 300 heads on his Rover block, because the performance boost offset the weight penalty. A few water holes had to be plugged (wonder why that changed between the aluminum and iron heads??) but it bolted right up. His sight was one place where I saw the thingamabob on an iron head.
James J.

David Kernberger wrote:

12/18/03

All,

	The keystone shaped thing is a "spark deflector" I was told when I
asked the group about it a couple of years ago.  At that time nobody seemed
concerned about its presence, absence, or condition.  It was my thought
that it might be removed if one was needing to lower the CR a little bit.
Apparently the cast iron heads on the 64 and later Buick 300s did not have
them any more.  Once again, how about it, group?

Regards,
Dave Kernberger