Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head

To: The Junkers <junkman923@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:28:39 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Matt,
I suspect that I could buy another set of heads for the price of having a good shop pre-heat and re-surface the chamber, though maybe not. I'll look into it if I've already removed too much material. I think CNC marks aren't deep enough to create hot-spots, but that's just a guess. CNC marks are definitely smaller than the pits I had.
Thanks for the thoughts.
James J.

The Junkers wrote:

James, did you ever think of filling the pits at a weld shop?

Also, as I recall, newer race heads prepared by Weld's CNC machines are
delivered and usually run with rough machine marks still in the combustion
chambers.

It's my recollection that the smoothing wasn't worth the extra expense
according to the company.

Matt
(62 Skylark in the garage thinking of a heart transplant to a willing MGB)