Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a lonely 300 head
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:49:16 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
The problem with uneven surfaces in a combustion chamber is that you don't get uniform heating of the surface, and the peaks often become hot-spots which cause pre-ignition and dieseling. It also promotes carbon build-up too, so it is more than cosmetic. This is pitted enough around the stock valve seats that it has undercut the edges a bit. Also, does anyone know what that little keystone shaped protuberence behind the spark-plug hole is? I think it has to do with flame-front propagation. Regardless, it's pretty eaten up too.
Since I wrote the original post, I went at the chamber with an abrasive wheel on a high-speed drill. This is a black sponge-like material that is impregnated with abrasive. It took out the small pits, but the deep ones (and there's alot of them!!) remained. I was doing some basic porting too, with a carbide tool designed for aluminum. If you use the tip, it barely removes any material. I used that and got out most of the big pits in the open areas and then hit the surface again with the drill abrasive. To the naked eye, the chamber doesn't look any different than the rest, but it still looked like a bunch of aluminum chips went flying earlier. Unfortunately, I can't get to the areas where the valves are closest to the edge of the CC, and also around the (formerly) sharp edges of the keystone thingy.
I'll have to cc the CCs (measure the volume of the combustion chambers) to see how much damage I did.

As far as finding a single head, I was hoping that somewhere out there, somebody had experienced similar problems, bought another pair of heads, and kept the single good one from the original pair out in the barn, and would be willing to sell it to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heads Club Block. But I can see what the shop says about this one in the meantime.

Thanks for all the inputs,
James J.

David Kernberger wrote:

James et al.

A single Buick 300 head is probably going to be hard to find. Do
you really think you need it? Others may want to add their comments to
mine, but I think the damage you describe is more cosmetic than functional,
unless something is broken or cracked. What do others think about this?
I'll bet that a basic smoothup of any really high spots with a small hand
grinder would be perfectly OK. Not enough to remove much metal, so CR will
not be affected much. Nobody's going to see inside the engine after it is
assembled, so the only real question is if it will cause problems in
operation. That's my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
David Kernberger

All,
Anyone have a single, aluminum Buick 300 head they want to get rid of?  I
was cleaning all the carbon off of my heads and then bead blasting them, and
one combustion chamber is so heavily pitted, that I don't think I can use it
It really looks like the dark side of the moon.  I guess that the whole
chamber could be ground (polished) down to virgin aluminum, but I'd then
have to do it to all CCs, plus the corresponding loss of compression.
Thanks,
James Jewell