RE: cooling systems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cooling systems
From: Fred Talmadge <fredtal@industryinet.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:57:23 -0500
Just a few facts about glycols.  Anti freeze is either ethelyine glycol or
propyline glycol  Both perform similarly, irregardless of how I spell
;)  Both increase the specific gravity of the coolant, this increases the
horsepower required to pump, but not enough to worry about.  The visosity
also increases but it's effect is minimal.  Water is a very poor lubricant
for seal faces, which are ussually some form of impregnated carbon and
ceramic.  Glycol helps tremendously to keep these two surfaces lubricated
as the rotate against each other.   It also raises the boiling point and
lowers the freezing point of coolant.  It varies with percentage of glycol
to water, 50/50 is ussually the recomended mix.

Experiences with pure water depend greatly on the quality of water.  I
doubt my well water with heavy mineral content would have such a happy
story.

Fred T
http://www.96trees.com