RE: cooling systems

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling systems
From: "dan" <dan@ript.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:47:38 -0700
Here's another tip for cooling systems.  This may not be the "right"
thing to do, some of you old timers might dis-agree ;), but here's what
I do.

I live in Phoenix, AZ, and I have a '73 GT6 Mk3 that is a daily driver.
We often endure 110 degree days together.  In this heat, it's easy to
imagine that the car frequently overheats - and it did, until I started
mixing coolant with water.  It took me a couple flushes to get the right
ratio, but it's basically 50/50% mix of coolant and water.

Adding water to the coolant makes the coolant thinner, which enables the
mixture to flow easier through the cooling system, which produces less
stress on the engine.

The only problem that I can imagine with this is that if there is a
*small* leak in the cooling system, then it will be noticed, because the
water might leak because it is thinner than coolant.  But there
shouldn't be a leak in your cooling system anyway.  If anyone else has
any feedback on this procedure, I'd appreciate it.

- dt