TR3 Rear Springs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Rear Springs
From: PWiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul Wiegman)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 13:18:24 -0800
I finally got the broken rear spring off my TR3 and am getting ready to
put the new spring on the car.  These came from a TR3A being parted-out
but I don't know what year.  After cleaning the TR3A springs I noticed
that on one spring, in the middle & on the top, are two squares of metal
the same thickness of the spring leaves and attached to the spring by
the bolt which runs through the middle of the leafs.  The other spring
does not have any such spacers (?).

The springs coming off the car have spacers, but only one on each
spring.

Whats the story here?  Do TR3A's need two spacers on one side and not
the other, & on which side?  Both new springs have the same arc, but if
bolted onto the car it would seem that the side with the two spacers
will be(.5" - .75") lower.  My thinking is to remove the two spacers and
put one on each spring to match those that are coming off.

Any thoughts?

Also, since the car is sitting on jack stands about 3' off the garage
floor I would like to do some rust prevention and undercoating.  Does
anyone have experience spraying (not brushing) rust retardant on the
underside, then using undercoat?  The rust retardant reforms the iron
oxide and seems to provide a barrier to new rust forming.  Is there a
problem sealing in water and creating more rust?

Finally, a tribute to Teri Wakeman.  With a heated garage (65 F) ,
concrete floor, and lots of light, it took 14 years to get this TR3 on
the road.

Paul g. Wiegman

--
P.g. Wiegman                   |   Leaving marks on driveways throughout
1957 TR3                       |   western Pennsylvania