RE: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:09:09 -0500
--On Monday, March 1, 2004 10:23 PM -0600 Eric Salem
<eric@mail.brown911.com> wrote:
> If the Comment for put out for comment had a rational for the change
> that would be something different, but as stated in FasTrack it strikes
> a person as shot directly against older sports cars, all BMW's,
> tube-frame cars and everybody who's factory shop manual costs more than
> dinner at Baby Doll's in Topeka.

This proposal already took up an awful lot of column space in Fastrack, and
had a rather large comment already attached to it.  Space is limited.

The SEB is working on overhauling the rules regarding burden of proof and
required documentation.  In the process, the required documentation rule is
being centralized in Section 4 rather than being placed in the introduction
to Section 13.  That requires is to visit the question, "What should the
required documentation be for each category?"

We took a first stab at the answer in the proposal by making the
requirements identical to the other production-based categories.

The proposal does happen to affect Prepared more than most, because
Prepared effectively has no required documentation or burden of proof rules
currently (the rule is currently located in the opening to Section 13, and
Prepared explicitly does not build on Stock).

The current state of affairs for Prepared was almost certainly an accident.
Before 1995, when the Prepared rules were based on the GCR, PCS, and GTCS,
those books provided the documentation rules.  Since 1995 those books are
no longer relevant (except in the case of 17.11 "in excess" cars prepared
to the PCS or GTCS), and instead in 1995 we gained the statement that
Prepared is not based on Stock, where Solo's documentation rules have lived
forever.

In any case, as an SEB member, I'm very happy to see this ongoing
discussion on Team.Net, and there have been a fair number of letters
already on this topic.  That's pretty unusual for any proposal that's not
explicitly about car prep rules...  Keep those letters coming.  Remember
that though one or more SEB members may be reading and participating, this
is not an official channel of communication with the SEB.

Mark