RE: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: "'Steven J Miller'" <sjm@us.ibm.com>,
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:06:50 -0600
<<
Rick Cone wrote:
>IMHO, if you can't provide the manual, then you should be *required* to
pay
>the costs to take the car somewhere (dealer) and the cost for the
>dealer
>identify the legality.
>In many cases it would be cheaper to front the $100/hour for an hour to

>figure out some measurements then it is to pay $800.00 for a manual.

You may be right, but I'm sure that those of you whose cars are under
warranty would not really like to take your car to the dealer for this.

I can see it now:
Autocrosser: "Hi. I'm autocrossing my car. Can you prove to these guys
that the widget is within specs".
Dealer: "You're doing what! Hey Joe, call the manufacturer and have this
guy's warranty voided".

So, in the big picture, it may be very expensive to go that route.

Or what about cars that aren't serviced be the dealers anymore? The
local Porsche dealer won't even change my oil. AND there aren't any
dealer techs left in the dealer world for some of the older sportscars.
AND even if the dealer would get involved they don't have the
documentation for the older cars either. While the shop manual is a nice
idea for the newer prepared cars that can get said documentaion that
doesn't change the fact that lot's of these manuals aren't available.

Given that Prepared is populated by typically older, non-street legal or
even titled RACE CARS the shop manual idea can only be described is
short sighted. I asked on this forum last week for someone to let us
know what problem the shop manual requirement would solve.

Why ask for comment on something without asker explaining why they think
it's a good change?