RE: Numbers

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Numbers
From: "Graeme Weston-Lewis" <gweston@lsil.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 10:36:47 -0600
This topic is near and dear to my heart as I recently introduced what some
might class as
draconian enforcement of the markings rules for the 2003 Rocky Mountain Solo
Series.  Basically, we have been asking, pleading, but
stopping short of begging people to voluntarily comply with the Vehicle
Identification section of the SCCA National Solo rulebook
for years.
This year, tech is checking markings and failing people whose numbers are not
legal as per the current rulebook.  The amazing thing
is now we are actually enforcing the rule, people are starting to get the
message and the quality of car markings has improved
dramatically.  To help newer drivers, we have a "do-it-yourself car marking"
kit available on our website and we bring along some
pre-printed numbers and tape to each event.  It's really not that hard!  Have I
heard some complaints?  Absolutely, but they pale in
comparison to the thanks I have received from my T&S crew!

Now back to Chuck.  The rules state (and have stated for as long as I've been
doing this) "...must be of uniform color...".  How can
anyone interpret "multicolored weatherproof ink on vinyl" as being in
compliance with that rule?  If you choose to do something
outside the rules, expect it to be challenged, whether it be sway-bars, wheels,
engine mods - or even car markings.

Graeme Weston-Lewis
Solo2 Chair, Colorado Region SCCA