Re: Numbers

To: "Graeme Weston-Lewis" <gweston@lsil.com>, "autox"
Subject: Re: Numbers
From: "Charles" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 13:38:10 -0400
The multicolor is the border stripe which fades from yellow to orange to
provide extra contrast. The body of the markings are solid white. We did try
a small red star on white design fill center with red and yellow border at
2/2002 Ft M events in honor of 9/11( the picture used in SportsCar) which
was still highly visible, but we did not go with it for the full set. I used
that picture as an example of a highly visible marking that is technically
illegal but meets the spirit of the rule, like the sunset fill someone else
used.  Our markings do meet ALL the current rule requirements, those that
know me know I am a stickler for the rules.
Our local club has enforced the current SCCA min marking standards, with
discressionary spirit of the rule exemptions starting with the 2002 season.
There were some grumblings at first (something on the order of prying shoe
polish bottles out of cold dead fingers... ), but now that it has been shown
to be beneficial when enforced there is no problem. We offer printed paper
#s and blue tape for the newbees. The cars do look better and scoring errors
have gone way down. Other clubs in the area are seeing the light and have
started to do the same. My question is if local clubs find the current rule
workable when ENFORCED why can't the SCCA?
This whole discussion is based on reverse faulty logic: Make all that are
already in compliance because they follow rules change what they have, and
the few who don't already follow rules still won't do so!