Re: Pre-'75 car choices

To: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>,
Subject: Re: Pre-'75 car choices
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:09:42 -0600
From: Michael McAvoy <thedoc@premier1.net>
>This made me think of the old Volvo coupes from the late 60's/early 70's.
>think they were just called the 1800

P1800S was the fastback coupe with the conventional trunk.  There was a
later "station-wagon" liftback called the 1800ES.  That car was I believe
the first production car with the frameless glass rear hatch (the second was
the Sonett, I think).  A guy I knew in Winnipeg traded in his Rover 2000TC
(that's why I met him; I had one, too) on one of the first Volvo 1800ES cars
in Canada.

>or something, not entirely sure.  Look
>a bit like a Karman Ghia

Really only looks like a Karmann Ghia in the greenhouse area.  The size and
placement of the greenhouse and the angles of the windscreen and backlight
are similar.

>with a Jaguarish front end, and fins on the rear.

It was advertised to resemble not a Jaguar, but a Ferrari.  And if you look
at road-going Ferraris of the period, you can surely see the resemblance.  I
remember Ed House had one for ice racing.  He customized the front end
slightly when I lifted for a yellow flag and he didn't.  Didn't worry me.  I
had repeater taillights in the back window.

>I've always liked the looks, but don't really know anything about them.  I
>have never really had the chance to check one out, never seen one
>autocrossing.

I have, but not for some years now.  I went to one of Ed Solstad's famous
rallies a few years back and there were three of them there.  There is a
club for them here in Minnesota, I think.

>If the performance is up to the looks, it might be an
>interesting car.

I think the car could be best described as "solid".  I think with the right
parts, which I imagine are still available (the car shares much with
contemporary Volvos and British cars) a bullet-proof, fun car could be
built.

>Is this the one I see listed in DSP?  Just hard to find
>and a bit too old for me to actually want one.

Might be fun in ESP.  Dunno if it would be competitive.  About like an
MGB-GT, I'd expect.

For you folks who used to watch a TV show called "Thirtysomething" as much
as my wife did, the Ken Olin(?) character drove a Volvo P1800.  There was
another vintage car on that show, too.  There was a long-haired guy who had
a TR6.  The name "Triumph" was spelled out in gold letters on the front of
the roll bar.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.