Re: Pre-'75 car choices

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: Pre-'75 car choices
From: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:06:50 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> How early did VW start making the water pumper cars like Rabbits and
> Sciroccos?

1974, although those early cars had pretty small engines -- a '74 chassis
would be an immediate engine-swap candidate.  And early Rabbits were not
blessed with great reliability.

> How about an old VW Squareback?  ;^)  I saw one for sale on
> Ebay today.  Air cooled VWs are cool and can make decent power for their
> car's weight.  How about a Karmen Ghia?

I thought about that -- my dad had a Ghia when I was growing up (and sold
it just before I got my license!).  The trouble is, no matter what you do
to the engine, you're still stuck with that limited suspension -- even
later Ghias never got the suspension upgrades used on the Super Beetles.
In the Maryland/D.C./Virginia area, non-rusty Ghias are pretty pricy, too.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr