RE: Pre-'75 car choices

To: Jamie Sculerati <jamies@mrj.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pre-'75 car choices
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:21:00 -0500
> I haven't seen a 510 on the road since I moved east -- can you even find
> them here?

I've seen a couple on the road, but they are rare here.  There are also a
few road racing here in ITC and GP and GT4.  And there used to be a Barney
purple one that autoxed here a couple of years ago (EP class I think).  It
was really quick and fun to watch -- lots of gear changes during an autox
run.

> > 4. Datsun roadster (might be hard to find donor car and parts)
>
> Probably no less so than a 510 -- in fact, they turn up at least once a
> month in the Post classifieds, so I'm willing to bet there are more out
> there.

I've seen a couple of nicely restored ones on the road here.

> > 5. Mazda RX3 (might be hard to find)
>
> Especially here -- didn't they rust?

Didn't all the 60's and 70's Japanese cars rust?  I know a few guys who road
race RX3's in ITA.  Rob Hines might even still have his old ITA RX3 for
sale.  It could make a great CSP car, but might be tough to make it
streetable again.  It's also been sitting awhile, and rotary engines don't
do well when they aren't run for a long time.

> > 10. '67-69 Camaro (getting expensive)
> > 11. '70-74 Camaro (big outside, small inside, possible redneck image)
>
> I'm going to tell Ernie Manzella you said that! :)  But if you're going
> with
> muscle cars, you may as well throw Mustangs and Cougars into the mix --
> both
> seem to be pretty easy to find around here.

I personally don't think they are redneck cars.  I owned a Firebird Formula
400 with a Muncie 4-speed and functional RamAir for 6 years and loved it.  I
always thought the Camarobirds gave great bang for the buck.  But I do know
some folks who think they are redneck cars.

Brad Burns
(sold the Miata and got a used M3 -- A-stock for now)