Re: SP Proposal

To: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>, "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: SP Proposal
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:59:41 -0600
Kent types:

>Naw, Elans are real underdogs.....

Sarcasm isn't very productive here. I've said that three cars are
proven to be competitive in ASP, and that Elans aren't dominant.

> Lets look at the the top AND
>bottom of A/SP at 98 Nationals (from memory ;-):

<snip chart>

>No Elans in the non-trophy positions.

Look at the TIMES of the slower Elans, though. They were off the
winning Elan's time by substantial amounts.

>  Yes, all of the Elan pilots
>are good but in one case a trophy-winning Elan driver autoxed
>only a couple of times all season!

And this proves what?

>  A/SP included two (I think)
>former national champions that didn't even trophy.

As compared to other classes, is that a larger or smaller number?
Or have you made the comparison? At any given Nationals, how many
former champions compete and fail to trophy?

All it takes is ONE example of a car finishing well to prove that
the POTENTIAL is there. If other folks haven't yet achieved that
car's potential, their finishing positions shouldn't be
considered in classing decisions.

Jay