Re: SP Proposal

To: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>, "Pat Kelly" <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: SP Proposal
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:19:36 -0600
Kent responded:

>Its unfortunate there's no place to bump the Loti and RX-7 TT
>in SP, so they'd go to P.

You haven't established that there is any reason to do this.

> I'm following the precedent set by the
>SCCA in not allowing the Viper to compete in Stock and sending
>it directly to A/SP

In the first place, your proposal does NOT follow that precedent
in a precise fashion. Excluding a car from Stock is one thing.
Excluding it from SP is entirely different. Read on.

>because it's too fast for any stock classes.

There was more to it than that. The Viper was a very expensive
"exotic" car that had the apparent capability of dominating SS.
It was the combination of expense, limited production, and likely
class domination that drove the decision. I still think it was a
bad decision, BTW.

>IMO, A/SP seems to be a one and a half (Tripoint prepared
>RX-7TT) marque class - when an Elan shows up- everyone else
>is fighting for second.

You only have to look in the rulebook at recent winners of ASP to
see that your statement is incorrect.

>  Yes, the Elan is in effect being penalized
>for being too quick - just as a stock Viper is.

You're leaving out a major component when you propose excluding a
car from SP: DEVELOPMENT. In SP, what you do to a car is just as
important as its original capability. Several competitors have
developed Elans and RX7tts into class winners. Somewhat fewer
have done likewise with 911s, but IT CAN BE DONE.  That alone is
sufficient to establish that 911s, Elans, and RX7tts all belong
in the same SP class. Other cars in the class may have similar
potential, but unless somebody steps up to the plate and develops
them fully, we won't know.

Jay