Re: Course design/speed limits

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Course design/speed limits
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:17:09 -0800
A lot of good points have been made. I just want to make sure that one
this is clear.

The course at this weekend's tour was fast, as it often is on the west
lot of Qualcomm, but it was also very safe in my opinion. The straights
had run off room, and no abrupt transitions. In fact, it flowed very
well.

One point, I think that we can make a very dangerous 60mph course, as we
can make a safe 70mph course.

The off-camber turns at Qualcomm are part of the lot. No way around
them, and they are minimal. To me, they add some interest, it isn't
quite the corkscrew, but it requires a little more thought than a purely
flat course.

Sunday's course had my MR-2 in probably the mid 60's on the straight
front. I was in 3rd gear for most of that straight and never lifted. 75
mph might be difficult for a lower hp stock class car. My earlier
reference to 75mph was to the modified/prepared cars.

And I don't need a specific number to enjoy the course. I do like the
course if it opens up and provides some challenge, and *some* speed. If
I am in 3rd gear somewhere, I enjoy that. I have often been in 3rd gear
at ProSolos, so I don't see why anyone thinks the format is slow.

Randy Chase