Re: Course design/speed limits

To: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Course design/speed limits
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:26:21 -0600
Justin typed:

>One thing I like is a course that puts cars with poor power and
good
>handling on even ground with cars with good power and poor
handling.

A noble thought. I've seen this accomplished from time to time,
but not  necessarily in the way you'd think.

>  Along
>with a foot-to-the-floor straightaway, how about a tight slalom
and a couple
>of hairpins on your way back?

The slalom may help "equalize" things, but hairpins that exit
onto straights tend to favor power and/or traction over handling.
One of the common misconceptions about course design is that an
"open" course necessarily favors high-powered cars. More often
than not, it gives the cars with wimpy motors the opportunity to
carry speed. Momentum is a precious thing and must be hoarded
when you can't easily regain it. OTOH, the best way to favor
horsepower is to design a course with relatively straight
sections connected by tight 180s.

Jay