Re: Smoking at the light

To: Mark Bullard <mbullard@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Smoking at the light
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:32:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Mark Bullard wrote:

> Vance,
>
> What will the compression check tell me.  I've also got a good amount of
> smoke but it is primarily at idle and start up, the top end was done about a
> year and a half ago so I'm assuming that the lower end is the culprit but am
> unsure on what the compression check will tell me.

Ooops - got ahead of myself.

The smoke on startup indicates that "stuff" is entering the combustion
chamber when the motor is off. I'd say "valve guides". A little smoke is
okay, look at any 80's - 90's GM V8 on startup - they all smoke after
sitting for a while. A lot of smoke on startup needs to be addressed.

One possible "trick" to see if it's the guides, pull the manifolds and
peer into the holes... if you have bad valve guides, the valve stems and
heads will get caked with carbon.

The fix for bad valve guides is to press in a new set - refer to my
earlier post about checking the new parts to make certain that they are
okay before you install them.

Also - if you do put in new guides, the "proper" method is to then ream
the guides to the correct size and you need to index the guides properly
or the valves won't sit flat on seats. In other words, in addition to
installing the guides, you pretty much MUST do a valve job.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mark

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx