Re: Engine rebuilding questions

To: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Engine rebuilding questions
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Mitchel Seff wrote:

> Joe,
> One other thing to check on the cam would be to loosen the front
> retaining plate & see if it spins freely. Sometimes things don't go back
> together exactly the same ( new camshaft ) & mildly resurfacing the
> retaining plate down with fine emery on a flat surface ( glass ) will
> solve the problem. If the cam bearings were press fit it would have
> taken a pretty good shot to shift them. When installed they are a mild
> interference fit but not that easily moved.

If you had the cam bearings installed properly, the operation would
involve a "line boring", the installation on the bearings and then the
holes need to be "honed" to size with a "dingle ball hone". This operation
must be done to the specs of YOUR CAM.

The bearings can get installed "cock-eyed" and this can lead to
interference issues.

But in a seperate message, I suggested that the end user measure the cam
for runout as it is possible that the cam is bent.

I use the above method for the cam retainter sometimes, but also make sure
that the back of the cam is not rubbing on the blanking plug at the rear
of the block!

> As Dick described the distributor is shimmed with paper gaskets.

Yep.

> --
> Mitch Seff
> Oceanside, N.Y.
> 75 TR6SC
> http://www.triumphowners.com/384

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx