Re: Smoking at the light

To: Mark Bullard <mbullard@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Smoking at the light
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:26:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Mark Bullard wrote:

> Vance,
>
> What will the compression check tell me.  I've also got a good amount of
> smoke but it is primarily at idle and start up, the top end was done about a
> year and a half ago so I'm assuming that the lower end is the culprit but am
> unsure on what the compression check will tell me.

Ah - the old "we did the top end" problem.

Answer: RINGS

But get a leakdown test to confirm!

The compression test will tell you which hole is bad (if in fact only one
is bad). A wet test will make your compression go up if the rings are
marginal but not toast.

A leakdown test will confirm whatever the problem is.

Then you start your teardown.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mark

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx