zmagnette

Re: [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zm

To: List for the Z Magnette Group - North America <zmagnette@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Zmagnette] 4 synchro MGB trans in ZB <zmagnette@autox.team.net> <zmagnette.autox.team.net>
From: Mike <mikesmuseum@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:03:24 -0800 (PST)
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=dcKqwNclVpu0YzH9qQxriiCgoCHU760GA3V4kz+/46CPjEoHyS+VfEioeBxs01TjyLBY88A/PHVXJcU47iFr+0Kyl89sjRE7Q/vO6MfU5uKF43YUiAqDFOmxA/Dg7W27UZZ+ADrTc4+xEmNdxzFuiJcxUWB2RS8n9WfIh6XLEIA=; .3r3HS37pC8aJ_OYwnh1tmuJKpXxJ4TjbfBlAqzcrJj5L8T9eOpd6vaWxPRN CbQ4iG0rv_idLhu7P0nw4b_xiAB.oHMQTEOKse1v0TZDf080XeDsXjtz6O0W hVka.tFIv9aVE6hnOKCRAe2jVTh2NhTlXs3pCajyyJixGMMPgjtAW1Olsts0 m5NLwuCM2R1N9hUztlTQ42xwCtFlNLWb7oeG_ZVwh7lNAeQXISu6NqsMV0aC _NXGEil.bBxSHZ4GV1q6Yap.2SJNfclhv_7V7OEJ432rPy9FzJBvDwlfp6sw WJjDPz8HdLUiUuzHVKql5lb3vyXiD7orN1H9OTTmIdTNrCwgmfGkBgF7fUSf l8pBTQagOunbMWYpKSkBQay2CUSxhHeqh0gZoGtOfSgAS5pHk0mxKqeVwFix DcKjQzC_uUP08n6UdBPXsT8C4OL3Fwc7aUhUI.pG1VjGEAn32AhUISeM33yr yhMgkU3tEJ.uOzh591xskGh6OmilwWaUpOdW3UTzuZ00m.k5Sqrg37f.yeYw RQQHbT4lO4YDDgVWHq9IvvVFmclZFCCZZ1JbXy.YFLNmVG1ua7Rp11uHw8M8 Vmlf2B9KEJh.Vhdpx5w6a4s.fgujBN5teYpJbpe952OVCaC7nhhyO.l_tNVC fJnOtzcqwwn4TYnPsS5KRnAPzOb9eAKFxiupV8f2yOmry2ljbdGhQPqsC_VO JEM_SKC7u5_Aovypj_GdfwZL051BNKw.0DtvNNRMMhw77FKZA5Varz2vV5ax 4Z7DFdH7TeyQvvx0N.BFGvoO4g_MYI7siaA--
+1 to what SteveC said. Earlier this year I installed a HiGear kit in my MGA.
It came with everything I needed, down to the oil for the gearbox, and it all
fit. I had to drill four small holes in the driveshaft tunnel rails for the new
transmission mount â?? that was the only modification. The kit even came with a
right-angle gearbox for the speedometer drive, so I could use the MGA's speedo
cable and leave the speedo's calibration alone.

According to HiGear's website, the Magnette kit is similar. The main difference
is that they supply the MGA bellhousing, so you have to move the slave cylinder
from the top to low on the right side, a la the MGA. The site had a note that
if there was enough demand, they'd make a Magnette-specific bellhousing, but I
doubt that will happen.

Regarding changing the axle gears, yes, this works, but IMHO a 3.9 gearset from
an early MGB is too tall for a Magnette with its original 1500. Granted, I live
in a hilly area (San Francisco), but the car was also slow to merge onto the
freeways even on level ground. The car now carries a 4.3 from an MGA, which
seems to be a much better compromise.

But when the Magnette's transmission wears out, I'm getting a 5-speed kit for
it. No doubt about it. Well, once I've saved up â?? they aren't cheap.

Mike