Re: Chassis Paint?

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net, mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Chassis Paint?
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:27:58 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Listers,

Thanks so much for the numerous replies re Por 15 and other suggested paints.
All made good reading for me.

To the four people who have used this system, Pip, Bob Zwart, Sandy and Gene
which method of application did you choose? Brush or spray? Not having seen
this product it must be on the thin side as the manufacturer states "not to
thin
it more than 5% for spraying." Brushing sounds feasible especially when the
literature says that brush strokes disappear.

What quantity did it take to paint your particular chassis? Again reading the
bumph it states 1 quart covers 96 square feet. This would cover a MMM
chassis, but not the way I spray.

Lastly, I went out recently and purchased a 7hp compressor and a pressurized
sandblasting unit. From what I've read from the manufacturer and others of
this Por 15 I've just wasted Bigbucks because it adheres better to rusted
material than clean metal, including sandblasted metal. Their wording was
"excellent"
on rust and "good" on sandblasted material. The chassis in question is only
slightly rusted. Given time a decent wire brush would prepare it for Por 15 by
all accounts. 7HP compressor anyone??

I'm trying to determine what quantities I need to order including the metal
prep, thinners and such. They seem adamant only to use their thinners for
thinning.

Again, all help appreciated.
Thanks for all the responses.

Brian Kelly.