Re: Re: Re: Chassis Paint?

To: <Kellmg@aol.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Chassis Paint?
From: <hiro@octagongarage.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:29:27 +0900
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Brian,
One thing I forgot to tell you, POR15 is quite thin and so I have never
add any thinner. You can paint quite large area than you imagine from
ordinary paint. I also use very cheap disposal brushes - no headache.

Good luck,
Hiro
>Hi Kelly,
>
>1) As soon as you open the POR15 can, subsection all amount to small
>bottles (I am using plastic case of 35mm film) to prevent wasting
>remaining paint.
>
>2) Do not spray - your spray gun will be out of use. Just brush it then
 brush mark will disappear and the finish become like mirror.

>3) If you paint it on ordinary (rather smooth) surface, paint will peel
 off as if you paint on glass surface. Hence the foundation must be
rough. The hardened POR15 does not contain even any invisible holes so
it totally shut the oxigen and moisture out, so you can paint it on
rusted surface - rust will stop. If you want to sandblast the surface,
choose rough media. Glass beads are not recommended whilst #80 ordinary
sand will be OK.

>4) Never forget to put gloves. Your wife will hate you for a while.
>
>Good luck,
>Hiro
>

><Kellmg@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Listers,
>>
>>Thanks so much for the numerous replies re Por 15 and other suggested
paints.
>>All made good reading for me.
>>
>>To the four people who have used this system, Pip, Bob Zwart, Sandy
and Gene which method of application did you choose? Brush or spray? Not
 having seen this product it must be on the thin side as the
manufacturer states "not to thin it more than 5% for spraying." Brushing
 sounds feasible especially when the literature says that brush strokes
disappear.

>>What quantity did it take to paint your particular chassis? Again
>reading the bumph it states 1 quart covers 96 square feet. This would
cover a MMM chassis, but not the way I spray.

>>Lastly, I went out recently and purchased a 7hp compressor and a
>pressurized sandblasting unit. From what I've read from the
manufacturer and others of this Por 15 I've just wasted Bigbucks because
 it adheres better to rusted material than clean metal, including
sandblasted metal. Their wording was "excellent"
>>on rust and "good" on sandblasted material. The chassis in question is
 only slightly rusted. Given time a decent wire brush would prepare it
for Por 15 by all accounts. 7HP compressor anyone??

>>I'm trying to determine what quantities I need to order including the
metal prep, thinners and such. They seem adamant only to use their
thinners for thinning.