RE: P type springs

To: <zwart@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: P type springs
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 07:43:54 -0400
Cc: "MG-MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "tom metcalf" <mgtom@bright.net>, "Andrew Fock" <awfock@optushome.com.au>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Checking out??? Na, I hope not, and I hope for a lot more than an additional
39,000 miles in the TC, maybe even a few in the J2 and TA Tickford. But the
30 years will put me to 93 and the odds are good I won't be driving much by
then. Still, you never know :)

Lew Palmer asked the thickness of teflon, I used a thin strip made from a
sheet about 1/32" thick. Rolled this into the spring eye and was able to
force the pin through. Of course the thickness would vary depending on how
good ( or bad ) the spring eye diameter was sized.
I lubricate my leaf springs with grease. I made a tool from a piece of 5/16"
steel tube, tapped one end 1/4" NF and inserted a grease fitting. Flattened
the other end and filed a couple of notches through the sides of the flat
area. Take the weight off the springs, insert a screw driver/punch between
the leaves, insert grease tool between the leaves and give a few pumps on
the grease gun. The outer ends of the long springs are most important to
lubricate.  Extra grease will ooze out when the car is back on its wheels so
just wipe it off.  Sure makes a TC ride easier.
Bob Grunau

Bob,  Are you planning to check out early???????
    BOB

---