P type springs

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: P type springs
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:39:24 EST
Cc: awfock@optushome.com.au (Andrew Fock)
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
From: Andrew Fock
To: MG Pre-war
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 11:37 PM
Subject: springs

Hi all,

things have been rather quite lately, so here are a few questions.

As some of you know, I am restoring a P type. this car was partially "done
up" 20 years ago.
1. The pins for the front of the springs are new, however the eyes are worn
(to varying degrees). as the eyes were probably never true, how good a fit
should they be? Do people get the eyes relieved and put in bushes?
2. The fellow who did the chassis put in brass trunnions. Anyone have
experience of this. (I was planning to put in phosphor bronze, but if the
opinion is that they are Ok then I will keep them).
3. As there is no shoulder on the pin of the rear springs, how does one do up
the nut as there is nothing to tighten it up to without clamping the spring?

Thanks

Andrew