Clutch Update.

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Update.
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:20:53 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Listers,

Spent the early morning removing the gear box. Half way through it the floor
jack died on me. Topping up with fluid didn't help. Bought the usual Chinese
cheapo at $16, which saved the day. Went to two Auto parts stores, neither of
them carried 140wt gear oil. Blank expressions!!

On removal of the box I immediately stuck my finger in the clutch plate
aperture and the spigot bearing was as free as a bird. No problemo. Taking
the clutch pressure plate off, the driven plate was sticking to it. Checked
the splines they were OK.
Gear oil had been seeping from some where in the housing and I think this had
attributed to the binding of the plate.

12,000 miles ago I installed a new input shaft bearing. Sealed on the front,
open on the rear. I'm having trouble, presently, imagining where this leak is
from. I thought if the seal did leak the oil would just drain out of the
bellhousing hole at the bottom. Not getting onto the clutch plate, as seems
to be happening.

I disassembled the bell housing and input shaft assembly from the box all
looks well.
The only point I can imagine leaking is at the front end cover within the
bell housing.
I presumed having a sealed bearing here this wouldn't happen. I'll strip it
tomorrow and have a look. Decided, this time, to put a new clutch plate in.
Does Dowley have these, or is the general consensus to reline what you have?

As a matter of interest, my original plan was to take the engine out again to
solve this problem. The thought of attacking it from the rear and below had
daunting overtures to it. However, it wasn't as bad as expected and, so far,
it has gone to plan.
Except for it slipping off the jack as I pulled the box out. Thankfully, held
on and struggled to safety.

Another day in Paradise.

Brian Kelly.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol