Re: Performance Questions

To: Greg Williams <Greg_Williams@cayennesoft.com>
Subject: Re: Performance Questions
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 12:12:20 -0700
Greg Williams wrote:

>      So... Corky,
>         If you had to do it all over again, would you just bend your
>      fingers and write a check for a new 4.6 short block?  :-)  Me... I'm a
>      hot rodder.  Like Dan says... "Roll ya own!".  I see Shirl Dickey is
>      selling rebuilt and stroked Buick's (266cid or 4.3L) for $3995,
>      complete.
>
>      Greg
>
>      PS.  Just select "Reply to all" to hit everybody on the list.
>
> Subject: Re: Re[7]: Performance Questions
> Author:  Charles.K.Scott@Dartmouth.EDU (Charles K. Scott) at inetmail
> Date:    9/3/98 10:44 AM
>
> --- You wrote:
> Then, if one has a Buick 300 crank cut for
>      stroking, add that cost
> --- end of quote ---
> My cost for the machined 300 crank was around $375 about four years ago from
>Dan
> LaGrou.  It included the seal kit.  I then on recommendation, sent it to
>Moldex
> in Michigan to be inspected (magnafluxed) and nitrided.  That wasn't very
> expensive, around $150 or so but the nitriding process caused the journals to
> "grow" and Moldex had to re-machine them.
>
> I did not have a problem with them doing that as they are world renowned for
> their cranks and crank work.  The only problem was getting them to do it.  It
> took more than a year to get the crank back.
>
> Corky Scott

Hey Gang,

How about a little more info on using the Buick crank and any special
work needed including the flywheel?  What has to be done to them and
does this result in a 4.3l displacement without any boring of the
cylinders.

>From what I gather opening up the cylinders about a 1/4" makes things a
little thin leads to leakage of coolant to the crankcase sometimes??

Joe worsley
80 TR8