Re[7]: Performance Questions

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[7]: Performance Questions
From: Greg_Williams@cayennesoft.com (Greg Williams)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:36:11 -0400
     Hello Ian,
        In the US, 3.9 blocks aren't exactly falling off of trees.  Good
     used ones are expensive.  The cheapest rebuildable 3.9 I've seen was
     around $600.  They generally go for more than that.  Also, if one can
     get a good Buick or Olds block, they can be had for around $75, bare,
     but are obviously inferior to the newer Rover items.  Last time I
     checked, sleeving a 215 or 3.5 out to the 3.7" bore ran $100 a hole.
     (Thats what I was quoted anyway)  So... when the cost of sleeving, any
     other required machine work, new pistons and other parts are added up,
     the new short blocks tend to win in terms of cost effectiveness over
     here.  That is, in the US.  Then, if one has a Buick 300 crank cut for
     stroking, add that cost and the cost of a custom flywheel ($250) and a
     rear seal adapter, I don't know... that cross bolted 4.6 looks better
     and better.  Love to see one of those in a 63 Buick Special  :-)

     Greg